Pastor Dave, or PD as he is often called, has been in pastoral ministry for forty-two years, forty of them alongside his wife Colleen. They have two adult children, David and Brooke, and three grandsons, Logan, Luke & Liam. Pastor Dave and Colleen came to Faith Baptist in 1991 from the Faith Fellowship Church in Clarence, NY, (near Buffalo), and is currently celebrating twenty-one years as Senior Pastor at Faith Baptist. He received two degrees from Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA (Pastoral Theology and Family Counseling). Football has always been a big part of Pastor Dave’s life and he played defensive back and running back for Liberty University, where he once gave the famous “Refuse to Lose” speech – feel free to ask him about it sometime. He played high school ball in Florida, Georgia and Maryland, but throughout it all his heart stayed loyal to his beloved Oklahoma Sooners. Just like the Sooners have “Play like a Champion” over the exit door of their locker room that they reach up and slap as they run out, Pastor Dave has a sign over his office door that says: “Preach the Word.” We’re not sure if he slaps it or not but we know he endeavors to abide by the challenge. PD is also an ardent fan of the 1960’s TV series Star Trek and has numerous Trek paraphernalia in his office. His favorite quote from the show is Spock’s advice to Stonn (who had just conspired with Spock’s fiancé to marry Stonn instead) “You may find, that after a time, having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical but it is often true.”
Here are answers to a few questions so you can get to know PD a little better.
- Favorite Book – any of the Dilbert Collections
- Favorite Movie – Dances with Wolves
- Last meal on earth – anything that I don’t have to eat liquified through a tube
- A perfect day … a nice walk, time in the Word, sharing truth with someone, a hearty laugh, time with family, a Sonic chili-dog, and spending the evening going over sermon notes while, in the background, JAG or some other program from the Me or Heroes & Icons channels plays in the background.
- In terms of your faith; where did it all begin? I was raised in the Christian Science Church, believing in God but rejecting the concept of sin, sickness and death. But my appendix ruptured when I was 11 years old and this reality served to break the hold of Christian Science thought on my heart and it weakened the grip CS had on my family. In less than two years, we had all come to trust in Christ as Savior, thanks to the ministry of the Berean Baptist Church of Albuquerque, NM and its half-Cherokee pastor, Charlie Yate. Those nine months in Albuquerque were the most transformational period of our lives.